Crock Pot Quesadillas
Makes 10 servings: store leftovers in the fridge for up to two days, or freeze for an easy meal next week!
1kg chicken breast, skin off
1 packet taco seasoning mix**
1 large yellow onion, diced
400g can of black beans
400g can of corn kernels
1 large red capsicum, diced
2 cups light tasty cheese, shredded
10 large wraps/tortillas (I used spinach wraps for extra colour and flavour)
Salad greens, avocado, spring onion, and a dollop of Greek yoghurt to serve
- In large crock pot, coat bottom of bowl with ~1/4 cup of water. Add chicken, onion and taco seasoning. Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 7-9 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork. Drain excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans, corn kernels, diced capsicum, and tasty cheese. Add shredded chicken and mix until combined.
- Spread tortilla/s on benchtop. Using tongs, spread chicken mixture evenly on one-half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over to close your quesadilla.
- Cook in preheated oven on 175 degrees C for ~10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. OR, cook in sandwich press for ~2-4 minutes (my preferred method)
- Dress your quesadilla with salad greens, avocado, diced spring onion, and a dollop of low-fat Greek yoghurt to serve (or whatever else your little heart desires!)
**I was recently asked if packet seasonings were ‘bad’ for you. The answer is that they’re perfectly fine to use, if you don’t overdo it. One packet of seasoning has about ten serves, which is perfect for this recipe. Even though one of the main ingredients is sugar, the amount per serve is so low it hardly even registers.
The exception is for those needing low FODMAP, are gluten-free, or with sensitivities to any of the specific ingredients, so make sure you read the label carefully if you fall into these categories.